It’s weird to think that almost a year ago I made this awkward video with no dialogue and entered the world of VEDA. As I look forward to another month of vlogging I wanted to share some knowledge and wisdom I’ve learned from VEDA and my other life as a video producer.
In addition to the information in the vlog, here are some other helpful tidbits:
Doing VEDA doesn’t mean you have to go out and buy a fancy camera. If you don’t already have a webcam, camera, or smartphone you can pick up an entry-level Logitech webcam for about $30. I personally own a Logitech HD Pro C910 for my webcam videos but it is a bit pricier.
Backlighting is a common mistake I see with a lot of first-time videomakers and I give a more detailed explanation of it in this VEDA vlog from last year.
Vertical videos: just say no. Watch this PSA to learn more about this problem affecting millions of YouTubers.
I talk about editing videos and shooting videos for editing but you don’t have to edit you vlogs. You’ll see a lot of vloggers out there bang their vlogs out in a single take. That’s perfectly fine and I would actually suggest beginners to do that so you can spend more time making videos and getting comfortable being in front of the camera.
If you are interested in video editing here are some programs and apps I mentioned (and not mentioned) in the vlog:
- Apple Users: iMovie
- Windows Users: Windows Movie Maker
- iPhone/iPad: iMovie for iOS
- YouTube: YouTube Video Editor
A few tips on uploading your video:
- Use a descriptive title that effective tells the viewer what to expect. Ok title: “VEDA Day 13: My Favorite Book” Better title: “VEDA Day 13: Why ‘50 Shades of Grey’ is my new favorite book.”
- You can enter as much information as you’d like in the description but remember the first couple of lines are the ones that will be visible before the “show more” line. It’s a great place to include links to your profiles/blog, or other imported related information.
- Don’t forget to double-check your thumbnail and make choose the most-engaging/interesting image among your choices.
- Create and organize your vlogs in a playlist so users can find all of your VEDA stuff in one handy place.
Got any other VEDA tips or questions? Feel free to send them my way or leave them in the comment below!