Just over a week to go until VEDA begins. A majority of the people who participated last year are returning, but we have several new faces, so I’ve written up some tips for getting the most out of the experience. There are no strict rules, but here are some general guidelines.
What To Do
1. Subscribe to the YouTube channels of everyone I’ve listed below (consider following them on twitter and subscribing to their blogs as well).
2. Check the calendar for daily topics. The calendar is a work in progress. (I’ll post it soon.)
3. On August 1st, start making a video every day and do not stop until August is over.
4. Try to watch and comment on as many of the other participant’s videos as you can. This is the part that makes VEDA fun and meaningful.
Tips for Vlogging
1. Keep your videos under 4 minutes.
2. Have some idea of what you’re going to say before you start.
3. Look at the camera. Talk to the camera like you’re talking to us.
4. Try to limit background noise and other distractions.
5. Don’t worry too much about being interesting. Just be honest and as much yourself as you can (while awkwardly talking to a camera).
6. iMovie and Windows Movie Maker are both pretty simple. If you’re interested in trying your hand at editing, search for tutorials on YouTube.
7. If you’re having technical problems, ask for help.
Q: What if I miss a day?
A: Keep going. The point is to make a vlog every day, but don’t quit if you miss a day. Remember, you’ll get as much out of it as you put into it.
Q: Can I make videos in advance?
A: No. You should always make your video that day. It’s part of the challenge. We will all have video-making obstacles to work with this August.
Q: Do I have to use YouTube?
A: We super highly suggest it, because the YouTube subscription feature makes it so much easier to follow everyone.
Q: What do I do if I have problems with YouTube/my video/life.
A: You could ask Ashley or Nico. Or you might start by asking on twitter to see if another VEDAer has the answer.
Q: Who chooses the topics?
A: You can add your suggestions to the google doc (you’ll have access soon). We will be choosing the suggestions we think will work best and adding them to the calendar. If you have particularly strong feelings about a topic, you can make your case.
Q: What if I don’t like one of the topics?
A: The topics are just suggestions. You are always welcome to go off topic.
Q: What do I get if I win (make a video every day in August)?
A: The respect of a Captain. Probably some new friends. Likely a meaningful experience. Possibly a badge to post on your blog.
Q: Who is the Captain? Why is she called Captain?
A: Ashley (@writetoreach). She doesn’t exactly remember, but thinks it had something to do with the number of Ashleys who participated last year.
Q: What’s this business about loving people’s faces?
A: Well, it started during #winetoreach, but it just makes sense, because we will be seeing a lot of each other’s faces in August.